Monday, June 1, 2009

Rules of the Game

Rules of the Game: Not that rules are necessary but I do like to have some self-imposed guidelines in order to maintain a certain consistency in my life and writings. The blog is intended to replace two major efforts of mine: creative writing of poems, stories, plays, and presentations of ideas; and writing my thoughts on life, living, and attempts at finding the truth.

The first of these has no limit or guidelines other than the form of the piece, the second will be limited to about 1000 words, this would be the length of the aforementioned 2 pages, 4 sides of notebook paper. I know from experience that the limit is necessary, otherwise the entry can get too long or too short to be useful.

Useful to whom? Well, me course. For example, I reviewed several days' entries made five years ago in 2004 and found that there was a certain consistency to then and now. This led to re-evaluating the utility of writing almost daily entries. If my thinking wasn't changing, maybe I should put it out there to be assessed by others and worked in the forge of opinion.

On the creative writing side of the blog, I will continue to work to develop my ability to express myself. In 2007/8, I participated in "Open Floodgate," a creative site which has since closed due to lack of sponsorship, and postied more than 80 creations in the above mentioned categories. The creations were bundled into a book, published by a vanity press, and given to my family. The works include a whole range of ideas that express my thinking, albeit in esoteric terms. I thought it would be nice if my grandchildren, sometime in the future, could read and understand how I saw the world.

These preliminary thoughts are the what and why of the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment