Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Into the Wilderness 2018


Here is an idea that I'm pursuing; for the period of Lent, go into the wilderness and experience something different.  Moses did it and came out to lead the people of Israel out of Egypt, Jesus did it and came out to lead a new religion, Muhammad did it with the same result.  Thoreau did it for a year in a cabin at Walden Pond.

There must be something about isolating oneself for a period of time that brings about a significant change.  My idea is to get as close to isolation as possible; in other words to eliminate external influences on my thinking.

I am not interested in leading an exodus or founding a religion,  I am, however, interested in what might occur during a prolonged period of unstructured thinking as free of external influences as possible.

There would have to be some rules followed:
  1. Socialization only in the response mode; i.e. initiating no contact but responding directly to contact when it's made.  This would also preclude prolonging the contact beyond that for which it was initiated.
  2. No electronics, including radio, television, and phonograph.
  3. Telephone only to answer it and Email checked once per day with both telephone and Email usage according to Rule 1.
  4. Reading nothing.
  5. Writing thoughts and impressions, as much and as often as desired.
  6. No change indicated for eating habits.
  7. Going out only to get groceries, necessities, or to exercise and adhering to Rule 1 when out.
  8. Physical exercise and artistic practice, such as singing or reciting, would be allowed to any extent, even going to the fitness center and golf courses; remembering Rule 1 when there.
Sorting out and purging belongings, such as books and files, tools and materials, clothes and accouterments, would be allowed in order to be aware of what one has and perhaps getting rid of that which is no longer of use.

Construction, repair, and maintenance of whatever would be allowed; always in accordance with Rule 1.

This would not be quite the same as being isolated as were the principals mentioned above but it would bring about an introspection that may not otherwise be possible.

This would be a real challenge.  Doing without electronics would especially be difficult; the second most difficult would be obeying Rule 1.

Later:  This intrigues me to the extent that I may even do it.  I have a journal to capture the daily thoughts and progression of this experiment; it is about 200 pages so it should be sufficient.  If not, I have several more in reserve.

The difficulty will be in filling the time with some sort of productive activity.  Now that the play rehearsals are finished and the lines are in mind only needing daily refreshment, that there's snow on the ground and we are sort of holed up, that my wife is not communicating--too tired, and that I'm eschewing the TV and radio as a prelude to this experiment, I can see that filling the time is going to be a challenge.

According to my rules, above, anything that is not electronic or social is fine.  So, I can cook, bake, go out for necessities, exercise, shoot pool, play golf, or walk.  I can clean, fix, construct, purge, sort, and donate to my heart's content.  I can think, and write to get thoughts on paper, but I realize that the important thoughts, the life changing thoughts, will be with me, written or not.

Later still, I'm doing it!


No comments:

Post a Comment