Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Penile Envy

There are a couple of things rolling around in my head like marbles on the deck of a ship’s cabin at sea. One is the phenomenon of social status and the other has to do with dreaming. The quest for social status is an activity in which we all participate in one way or another. Whenever there are more than two people together there is an implied contest as to who is superior in the group.


Whenever one is asked for his desired future state of being, i.o.w. what are your dreams, the answer can come back in high sounding terms that are not reality based. Not that dreams need to be based in reality but what one says is more meant to impress the hearer/reader than expressing what he really would like to have happen. This is an attempt to seem to be more acceptable to those around him and is tied to the quest for social status. If he is impressive with his apparent success, then he is worthy of rank; or so he thinks. So one can surmise that the two lines of thought are interdependent, or that dreaming is tied to the quest for social status unless one makes a concerted effort to divorce them.


But there is a danger in disolving the marriage of these two and seeing it for what it is. It seems to be happening to me now. I am not as concerned with the reputation, the notoriety, and the acceptance of the social circles in which I am. These are the worlds of acting, pool, golf, and riding. Whereas in the past I would have spent time and energy in attempting to establish myself, not anymore; I simply participate at the level at which I am and let the chips fall where they may.


I have relapses from time to time when I try to be helpful, or give an opinion, or make a judgment but these are fewer and farther between. I will catch myself in starting to do so and stop. Sometimes when unsuccessful in stopping, it created a problem from which the return to a normal relationship was slow and painful. So, I advise myself to keep my opinions, comments, and evaluations private. And even replace internal reactions with “maintaining a favorable opinion, I remain positive and constructive” when dealing with peers. I often remind myself that my age doesn’t necessarily grant me wisdom enough to opine. And it’s a good thing because I am not worthy of having much of an opinion due to my level of performance in these endeavors.


This is beginning to make me feel less and less confident overall because I am operating outside of my normal pattern of behavior. My previous modus operandi was to be a quick study and put on a show of confidence based on my reputation and respected opinion, i.o.w. talk a good game. It doesn’t work now because I don’t have the credentials or the accomplishments in acting, pool, riding, and golf to support same.


I am concerned that it is beginning to show itself as a lack of confidence in general. I have no reputation upon which to rely, or fall back in these endeavors so people have to make a quick assessment of me as a person based on what they see. This is problematic because they see someone of whom they have no knowledge and, because I tend to be reticent, who won’t give them anything with which to work. I learned my lesson not to blow my own horn except to toot reinforcement of my reputation among those who know me.


Then there’s the effect of my own unfavorable judgment of my performances. I never see my performance as being worthwhile and it takes more than one rehearsal to get over this hump. Because I don’t feel good about what I do, I rarely compliment or encourage others because I fear they will take it as coming from a worthless source. This may be seen as a lack of sensitivity or participation and not viewed favorably by others.


This all resolves down to the conclusion that I feel as if I have no social status in any realm. This is probably inaccurate but it is the feeling that I have as I write this and mull over the events of the past couple of years. I may be rationalizing when I say that I am no longer interested in same but I’m objective in my assessment of not having a seat at any table at the moment. I just feel like I’m alone in the world and one can only hope that this is an emotional reaction, and therefore irrational.


Then there’s the dream aspect of it. I notice when looking at my dreams that they are in fact dreams and not necessarily a “to do” list for the year. I recognize that there are different levels of dreams; the present, the age, and my lifetime. Present being now and for the near term future, the age being from now until my body really starts breaking down at about 85 years old, and lifetime being for what happens when my life is a backward glance from the precipice of death.


Events have occurred all year to support the dreams for the present because I comb through them when I update my performance evolution file every Sunday morning. I’ve had a large amount of work in acting, trophies in pool, good horses to ride, and I’m hitting the ball with confidence in golf with three sub-90 rounds and averaging in the mid-nineties. But harkening back to emanating a lack of confidence, it may be happening because no one but me knows how it all fits together and furthermore nobody but me even cares. This is the disconnect, in the past I have played to the organization but now there is none to which to play. So I’m on a stage in an empty theater and I miss the applause.

No comments:

Post a Comment