Saturday, March 22, 2014

What and Why


A few weeks ago, I put down the question, “What am I doing right now, and why?”  This has had some surprising results.

The first, and perhaps expected, result is that I have often stopped whatever I was doing and did something more productive.  An example of this would be asking the question while looking at Google Maps for the fun of it.  Then stopping same and doing something more pertinent to my aim, such as looking at monologues or practicing pool.

A second, and somewhat surprising, result has been reflection on that question.  Taking a look at what I am doing over a longer span of time, say a day or week or even several.  Looking at what I do and asking, “Why?”

My actions seem to fall into categories.  One is the maintenance of this brain-body for health and fitness and include, primarily, eating and exercise.

A second category is the development of a desired image to display to the world.  Activities in this category include grooming, dress, interpersonal contact, and getting out into the community.

The third is doing in order to get a feeling of significant accomplishment.  These include accomplishments in acting, riding, pool, golf, cooking, and the French language. 

The fourth is to fulfill promises and take care of responsibilities.  I do what I am supposed to do and when I say I'll do something, I generally do.

Then there is a fifth category that has provided much satisfaction and that is philosophical or thinking about life and living.  The John Lina blog contains much of that thinking, expressed in essays on various aspects of it.

I have spent a lot of time on this category since the mid-nineties and even before.  The time before was spent thinking without writing it down, it was in the 90’s that I began writing it out and that was after making serious notes on my reading and exploration of the 4th Way.

Aside: Aha!  The 5th Category is the Fourth Way.  The 4th Way is described by Ouspensky as being different from the other three ways, i.e. the ways of the monk, the yogi, and the fakir.  It is working on becoming permanent.

Now that this realization has been made, i.e. my five categories of activities, it is important to reflect for a while on how appropriate it is to continue along these lines.  At first blush I don’t see any compelling reason to change.

Certainly the activities that maintain health and fitness are important to my well-being.  Paying attention to my fitness and what I eat and drink is paramount to avoiding the distractions associated with aches, pains, and sickness.  If the brain-body is fit, then I can pursue the other activities with less distraction and fatigue.

The maintenance of a personal and public image are important to me as well.  If one could see the way I sit in the privacy of our home, one would not think there was much importance placed on image but in fact there is.  I assure that my hair is cut and combed, my nails clipped, check my reflection in the mirror, and critically assess my movements when I can see them on video.

My wardrobe is appropriate for any occasion that may arise from black tie to jeans and a T-shirt because I am in the world, interacting from time to time with others.  I have an underlying need to feel that my appearance is appropriate to the location and activity in which I am involved.  In stage-talk: that my make-up and costume fit my role.

Fulfilling responsibilities and promises, which by virtue of being made become similar to responsibilities, is what allows others to rely upon me to do what I am supposed to do, including what is legally required.

Thinking about life and living is my way of trying to make sense out of this lifetime.   I've expressed many thoughts on this matter and will continue to let my thinking evolve.  This is another way of saying that this activity is one that I feel is important and will be continued.  Since permanency is a possibility, as a servant of Master I am doing what I can to progress towards it in this lifetime.

That leaves the category of accomplishments.  It has been part of my psyche for as far back as I can remember.  My imagination gets tweaked by being made aware of it, whatever it is, and lo and behold decisions are made to get it or achieve it.

Getting some item or object is fairly easy, one need only use his personal and physical assets and his connections to get in the position of acquiring it, then ask for it and voila!

The other category, i.e. achieving it, is a bit more complex.  When the desired is a skill, not an object, the acquisition is more difficult.  What is desired is to be able to perform a process that will produce a desired result and be confident in that performance.  Ideally it is something that I enjoy doing and that others can vicariously enjoy, or even envy, when they observe me doing it.   

One can readily conclude that I know what I’m doing and why; what is missing is doing for others.  There is no provision for losing oneself in the service of another person, animal, place, or thing.  I don’t know if this is good or not; in any case it is not part of the activities list. 

There are those who devote their lives to others, it is apparent that I am not, have not been, of that frame of mind.  Even when caring for another I have put myself first. 

Observing me, that is what I see.  Is it good?  Is it bad? I don’t know but my conclusion is that it is what it is and that’s that.

Nothing is absolute and at this late stage of this lifetime I doubt if much is going to change.  I am, however, open to change and if Master were to make a different direction apparent to me, I would take it because I am the servant of Master.

No comments:

Post a Comment